Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Vincent Schiavelli RIP

I'm shocked to see how easily the obits skip over the veteran character actor's work as a respected writer on the food of Sicily. "Award-winning"? The dude won a James Beard award for his writing - the Pulitzer of the food world. When I still read Gourmet, I'd be entranced by his passionate, informative writing on the subject of Sicilian foodstuffs.



Schiavelli at the 2002 Oscars with wife Carol Mukhalian

Here's a nice press release for his final book , which I now feel the need to own.

Fine obit from Playbill. For the volatile, fickle profession of acting, "continuously employed" is a darn good legacy. His colorful, passionate second career in his 40s and 50s is equally good. Condolences to his wife, and his whole surrogate family in Sicily.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Playbill obit! The others I saw were definitely lacking. I picked up a copy of his first book out of curiousity, and because I like media-related cookbooks. But it is very good, if a bit intimidating for me.

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home